The beginning of the year inspires many of us to think about de-Cluttering and Spring Cleaning. But have you ever thought about praying a blessing over your home? Regardless of the size of your home, it’s still the place you set out from each day, the place you return to each evening. It’s the place you create that should be a home of nurture, comfort, and rest.
In our Christian walk, we ask for God’s blessing on the lives and ministries of others. We consecrate lives and buildings to God’s service too. So why not ask God to bless our homes too?
But praying for God’s blessing on your home doesn’t have to be confined to the New Year. The event of a new home may arrive in your life because of a change of circumstances – good or bad at any time of the year. And making a new-to-you home can take wisdom, grace, and courage.
Asking God to bless your home is a positive action and a lovely way to begin the newest chapter of your life, whether that is a New Year, a new home, or just a change of who lives there.
In Proverbs, we read
Through wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; By knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches” ~ Proverbs 24 v 3-4
By seeking God’s blessing on our homes, we are acknowledging that He is not only our Creator but also our Provider of everything.
Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation! ~ Psalm 68 v 19
When my parents-in-law moved into their new home. After the furniture movers had gone, we had a short time of prayer with them. We stood in a circle, holding hands whilst praying. Firstly, for the provision of their new home, and then for God’s blessing on it. We asked for protection for the physical home, and His favour on their witness to their neighbours.
Cleansing and Dedicating an Area of The Home
The author Donna Partow in her “Becoming the Woman of God“ tells of when a particular area of her home became associated with family arguments. She removed all the furniture, prayed for the spiritual cleansing of the room, and re-dedicated it. Then the family broke bread together there. She goes on to tell how the level of harmony in the home was restored. Donna took a positive, practical and spiritual approach to a room that had seen conflict. And it was restored to a place of peace.
How You Can Ask God to Bless Your Home
Think about how and when you want to pray for blessing on your home. Do you want to pray for the Lord’s blessing on a particular area, room or the whole place? Is a general prayer for the blessing of God’s presence and peace sufficient in the circumstances? Does the area need to be cleansed first by the confession of events that have taken place there? Do you need to ask God to help you forgive those involved?
When you have given some thought to these things then you can make plans.
- Choose the day and time appropriate for your time of Blessing
- Decide whether you want/need prayer partners to be present
- Look up Bible Verses that would be helpful to read out loud before praying
- Prepare to break bread together if you feel it is appropriate
Bless Your Home ~ Ideas for Celebrating!
In the book of Joshua chapter 4, we read how the Children of Israel were instructed to set up memorial stones to mark a significant encounter with God. Whilst the setting-up of rocks(!) may not be appropriate in your home; you may want to celebrate the event in some way. Why not try one of the following ideas:
- For newly-weds – Breaking bread together. Selecting a Scripture verse together. Making a way to display the chosen verse (wooden plaque, framed print, etc)
- Birth of a child – Set up a ribbon across a doorway (Entrance, Nursery, etc) and when Mother and baby arrive home from the delivery room, hold a Ribbon-cutting ceremony. Hang a framed print of a Bible Verse, with the Child’s name, and date of birth to celebrate
- Record your Home Blessing event in your journal with as many details as you feel should be remembered.
- Take a photo of those present at your ceremony, in front of your home or the home you are blessing
- Hang a memorial plaque over the entrance doorway as a reminder of the Blessing of God over your Home.
Blessing Your Home ~ Action Plan
- How will you choose to bless your home or that of someone else?
- Search the Scriptures for suitable verses to pray over your home or to share with others
- Pray about how you want to do this, those you want to share the event with or if it will be a special personal time alone with God
- Journal about blessing your home – Write out the Bible verses you want to use. Journal what the occasion will mean to you. Record your gratitude for the provision of a place you can call home, etc.
If you would more help and ideas for how to Bless Your Home, you will find the Bless This Home Devotional in the Honey Bible Study Shop. The devotional shows you how you can pray for God’s blessing over every area of your home. It also explains how you can pray blessings over the homes of others. The downloadable PDF includes a 10-12 day devotional with Bible verses, prayers, and space for journaling PLUS ideas for ways to bless the homes of others, gifts suggestions, and more. TAKE ME TO THE SHOP➡