Want to know how to make a really useful Bible tool, one you can build yourself and use in multiple ways? Yes? Then read on and find out how to make your own Personal Bible Index!
Some people find their way around the countryside using landmarks. whilst other folks like to use road numbers or a compass. This, my friend, is going to make finding your way around your Bible so much easier. The Personal Bible Guide is your Road Map/ Route Master/ Index!
HOW TO MAKE YOUR PERSONAL BIBLE INDEX
You will need:-
- A ruled Note book which has enough space to write the Titles of the Books of the Bible with single line entries for each Chapter. ie 66 Book Titles + 1189 Chapter entries. If it has a ruled Margin so much the better otherwise you will have to draw a neat one on every page yourself. Just remember, a small handy notebook can be carried with your Bible at all times. Bigger Notebooks may be lovely to look at but bulky to carry with your Bible so it will have to stay on your Desk or shelf
- Pen, Highlighter, Pencil and Rubber
COPY & GLUE – Print out a copy of the Book index from The Bible you use most often. This will give you all the Books of the Bible in Order and a page number for the first page of each one. You can make your own page Index using the template in the Honey Resource Library
Stick the Bible Index into the inside of the front cover of your Notebook.
WRITE – On the first fresh page title it with “Genesis” then number the lines in the margin from 1 – 50 (ie one chapter number per line). On the next fresh line (or page) title it Exodus and again number the chapters in the margin. Keep going and work your way through all the books of the Bible. If you have chosen a big enough notebook (about 50 pages with 30 lines) you can start a fresh page for each book
ADD A BRIEF SENTENCE DESCRIBING THE CONTENTS OF EACH CHAPTER BY IT’S CORRESPONDING CHAPTER NUMBER – Use what is most memorable for you, especially if several events or key subjects happen within the chapter. This is your guide to help you find your way around the Bible – think of it like a personalized Road map!
1 |Creation Days 1-6
2 |7th Day God rested. Created Adam, Eve and the Garden of Eden
3 |Adam and Eve tempted
Creation Days 1-6 | verse 1
7th Day God rested. Created Adam, Eve, Garden of Eden | verse23
Adam and Eve tempted | verse 8
Take Your Personal Bible Index to the next level – try these ideas:-
- Add the reference to a Key verse for each Chapter, for example:-
1 |Creation Days 1-6 | verse 1
2 |7th Day God rested. Created Adam, Eve, Garden of Eden| verse 23
3 |Adam and Eve tempted |verse 8
- Colour-code each entry in your Personal Bible Index Colour :-
- either as to the Book type (History/Poetry, etc – see the Honey Bible Glossary for a fuller explanation of this)
- or with your own system of highlighting individual Chapters eg Key chapters for Themes, Topics, Golden chapters, etc.
TRY THESE IDEAS TO HELP YOU BUILD OTHER STUDIES:-
- Write out the Key verse for the Chapter. Be sure to use a large enough notebook to allow space for you to write out verses. You will need to allow probably 2-3 lines to write a verse for each Chapter. You can read more about Golden Verses in this post
- Use the Personal Bible Index as a record of Verses for you to memorize that way you will eventual have learnt 1189 verses (929 from the Old Testament/ 260 from the New Testament) when your Notebook is complete